Who are you?¶
Here are few things about you, the participants of the course, based on the questionnaire that many of you filled.
You have been programming 4.5 years (median)
- Some of you have just started whereas some of you have programmed for 30 years
Many of you have experience either in Python (58 %) or R (50 %).
Most of you understand the basics of programming well. Good!
You are fairly experienced in doing GIS! Median: 5 years (between 0-30 years), your average experience rating was 3/5.
Most of you have experience in Quantum GIS (90 %) and ArcGIS (80 %)
- You have also experience from many other GIS softwares / frameworks such as MapInfo, R, GRASS, PostGIS, SAGA, Geoserver, GDAL, Whitebox
What would you like to learn?¶
What will be covered
Basics of doing GIS with Python without using desktop softwares such as ArcGIS.
- Good! That is exactly what we are here for! 😎
Raster processing in Python
- The basics of raster processing in Python will be introduced but not any remote sensing stuff
How to use CSC computing resources?
- There is a short introduction included to the topic
What cannot be covered
Interfacing GDAL & GRASS externally with Python
- Won’t be covered but there are materials available explaining how to use GDAL with Python.
OOP GIS programming
- Conducting GIS with OOP (Object Oriented Programming) cannot be covered in the course (would require that everyone understands the concepts of OOP).
How to use Python in web service backends?